Monday, May 27, 2013

Tek Savvy - Not so DSL or Customer Service Savvy

I switched from cable to DSL Internet with Tek Savvy.

I like that there are a few 'real' alternatives in the Canadian market vs. the oligopolistic thieves that charge 2 x what the real service is, in addition to a focus on creating fees vs. products. But I digress.

In this capacity, the market for the smaller guys like Tek Savvy and Accanet is their to gain.

So - for the most part things have been ok with Tek Savvy till I switched to DSL.

This is the deal. As much as I dislike anything associated with Bell, I now have to deal with them through a) a leased line and b) Tek Savvy makes you rent, not buy, rent a Bell modem for their higher bandwidth length. In this regard Tek Savvy @ FAIL.

More disappointing is the actual service and customer service. It kacks out on a daily basis.

When I call support, I'm on hold for 30+ minutes if calling in the evening. They have a series of looped messages and songs instead of just the radio. I think they should play Tek Savvy IVR and 'on hold' loops in Guantanamo Bay as a way to keep prisoners in line.

For the 2nd time in 2 weeks, I've been on hold for more than an hour, the first time I actually fell asleep!

How bad is their service that their tech group is soooo tapped out they can't handle the calls? Unless they have the smallest tech support group in the GTA.

In any event, I would NOT recommend DSL from Tek Savvy for the following reasons:
- need to rent (not buy) a Bell modem
- need to pay Bell for the leased line
- service is unreliable as is the modem
- when you need help you will have to wait longer than that battery in your cell phone can support.
__________________________________________________

Tried again tonight. Here is a snapshot of their service. I'm downstairs in a house, old victorian. Modem on the 2nd floor at the top of the stairs:




Bear in mind I'm paying for a 15mps/10mps service.
Attached to the cable it's pretty good. But hey, when you have to rent Bell's modem for Tek Savvy's service, this is the result!!!!!

Not particularly Tech Savvy I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment